Monday, October 13, 2014

31 Days of my Favorite Things: Day 13 My Favorite Gift

One of my love languages is giving and receiving gifts.  I love to give the perfect gift to a friend or family member but I also love when people know what will make my heart happy.  There is nothing like having people in your life who learn the little things about you that make you smile and bless you with those gifts!  

I have been blessed to receive some pretty special gifts over the years, from special jewelry from my PaPaw, a handmade doll bed from my Pa, a shiny red mustang from my Daddy and countless thoughtful gifts from friends.  But by far my favorite gift I ever received was a scrapbook that my mom gave me for my 30th birthday. 


This was one of those labor of love gifts, the kind that require the giver to put in lots of sweat and maybe some tears in getting it all together.  My momma is not the scrapbook kinda gal, so the fact that she spent her spare time putting this together for me means more to me than she will know.

The part of the book that is the most special to me are the notes and words from my friends, those who are my closest confidants and those who I hadn't seen in years and my family.  She also included pictures from various stages in my life and a special tribute page to my sweet daddy!

Turning 30 wasn't an easy milestone for me.  I pictured my life looking very different at 30.  I thought for sure I would be married and have kids of my own.  I pictured myself being a stay at home mom and driving carpool.  Life sure looked different when 30 rolled around and I had a hard time coming to grips with the big 3-0.  But this gift of love and sacrifice lessened the sting just a bit and helped me to see just how blessed I really was.  I remember the look on my mom's face when she gave it to me, she was so proud and so happy to give me this special gift.  The words on the pages spoke to my heart, reminded me of sweet memories and encouraged my spirit. The pictures brought back a flood of memories and special times with the people I love.

Just goes to show that the most special gifts don't have to cost lots of money or come from exotic places, more times than not the best gifts really do come from the heart.



What is your favorite gift?  I would love to hear all about it!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift...no wonder you cherish it! Love the look and feel of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is one of the sweetest people I know! What a wonderful gift. She's a great gift giver.

    I'm loving reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips