Wednesday, October 30, 2013

day 29 and 30 :: don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today

As soon as I saw the reflection in my rearview mirror, I knew.  Yes, it was dark.  But I knew.  And then the blue lights.  I was on the phone with my mom at the time and quickly told her, 'Hey, I am getting pulled over'.  Her reply, "Right now?".  Oh yes mom, right now.

Before the cop could even get to my door, I knew why he had decided to pull me over in front of all of Hickory.  My tag was expired.  I knew it, I had known it for a while.  But I just kept putting it off.  I knew going to the DMV office was not on my way home, it tended to take longer than it should, and it just wasn't as important as those weekly (or daily) trips to Target.

When the officer came back to my window, my fingers were crossed for a warning, but no luck.  He handed me the dreaded pink slip, told me my court date and sent me on my way.  I suppose I could have turned on the water works or the charm, but really, what argument did I have.  I simply had put off getting my tag renewed.  No way out of this one!

How many times in life do we put off the things that we know need to be done?  It might be something as simple as doing the dishes or putting away laundry.  Will my life be drastically turned upside down if those things don't get done, if I put them off.  Chances are no.  But I think there are those times when we have that feeling that we need to do something.  Reconcile with a friend, break away from a relationship that is unhealthy, call our parents just to say I love you.  We get that feeling in the pit of our stomachs that something needs to be done, but instead of acting on that feeling, we put it off.  Maybe it is because of fear, comfort, or shame.  But the longer we put it off, the harder it might be to take that step of faith and do what needs to be done.  What are you being prompted to take care of today?

I certainly learned my lesson today, not worth it to put off something as simple as that '14 sticker for the tag on my car.  What do you need to take care of?





1 comment:

  1. I've been up since 4:30 working on the dreaded dissertation. I found out last night that you can't defend your proposal and full dissertation in the same semester which means no August graduation if I don't pull out a miracle. I wish I hadn't put it off.... (And I'm sorry about the ticket. Delaina got stopped yesterday, too. I'll be an extra cautious driver! :) )

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips