Monday, January 6, 2014

Less is More

I typically don't like to set myself up for failure, so this is why I have typically shied away from the New Year's Resolution hype.  Are resolutions bad?  Certainly not, but I know myself, and I know that I will not follow through with the weight loss goals, the blog everyday mandate or the make 5 new recipes from Pinterest goal.  

I have read and seen many people choosing a word for the year as their goal.  This word sums up what they want to be, accomplish, strive for in the new year.  I like this idea.  I think I can do that.  So my word for 2014 is....

I have thought about this so much and really what it boils down to is I want less of me and more of Him.  I have always loved John 3:30 that reminds us that we must decrease and he must increase.  And I think that is what must happen for 2014 to be a great year.  What will that look like?  I am not 100% sure but I do know a few ways I think this can play out in the upcoming year.

Less worry and more trust.
I don't have all the answers, never will.  It's time to give the worry up and trust that not having all the answers and not being in control can be a beautiful thing.  There is a bigger plan,  a bigger purpose that I must trust.  That plan is better than anything I have dreamed up, made up or pinned on Pinterest.  So it is time to trust. 

Less unhealthy habits more healthy habits.
I wogged a 5K in October.  I enjoyed it.  It made me feel good about myself.  I want to do more things that make me feel good about myself in 2014.  I want to make better choices when eating.  I want to be happy when I look in the mirror.  Will I give up Diet Coke, probably not!  But will I limit myself, yes.  

Less hurt more healing.
Sometimes you hold onto hurt for so long that it becomes part of who you are, you can't imagine it not being with you.  I think this has become my reality with many situations in my life.  It is time to let go of somethings that need to be let go of. It's time to come to grips with who I really am, who God says I am and what I believe about myself.  I have made mistakes, I have been hurt, I have let my choices define who I think I am.  I have ignored phone calls and texts because I know friends know when I burrow in.  Maybe it is time to not let that be the norm this year. 

Less judgement more encouragement.
Judgement has become more natural than encouragement.  I find it an easy trap to fall into and one that is so hard to get out of.  Everyone is going through something, and we often don't know what it is. Instead of judging what I see and what I perceive is going on, it is time to encourage, to empathize, to support.  

Less comparing more acceptance.
Maybe I am the only woman who finds herself wondering how many people are going to give my Facebook status a thumbs up or my Instagram picture a heart.  Or maybe I am the only one who compares my life, successes, worth to what I see on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  I seriously doubt I am alone in this one.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing what is going on in people's lives and keeping up with friends far and near on social media, I have to learn that even though my life might not look like what they are posting,  doesn't make my life any less important, wonderful or fulfilling!  I need to be happy with the season I am in.  


Wow, reading back over this,  I might be setting myself up for failure :)  And I am accepting the fact that I will fail.  I know I will not be good at all these things everyday of this new year.  But I hopeful that as I decrease these things will become easier and as I decrease my desire to do the right thing will become more.  It's gonna be a tough road, but one I am ready to travel.

What is your word for the new year?  


1 comment:

  1. Purposeful. In ALL things, I want to be purposeful. In relationships, in how I spend my time, in how I spend my money, in the food I put in my body...in all things. Purposeful.

    I love your word and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips