Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Thank You Teacher

Today I sat in a music room at my school surrounded by some amazing educators, and as I listened to the information being shared my heart just felt more and more heavy.  I know that the internet has been inundated with posts full of complaints, rants, opinions about the state of education in North Carolina.  It is easy to focus on the low test scores, the amount of kids who can't read or the drop out rate.  But my heart hurts for the teachers, those individuals who  made the decision to devote their lives to teaching children (insert Whitney Houston's I Believe the Children are our Future).  While those who are far removed from the public school house continue to make ignorant statements about what goes on in our buildings, I see a much different view.

In my 12 years of teaching I have witnessed some pretty amazing things from the people I worked with. Everyday I see teachers who are at school longs before the school bell rings (that is not me, we all know how much I love mornings) getting supplies ready for the little ones who will enter their classrooms.  I see teachers who stay at school long after the 3:15 bell rings to coach Battle of the Books teams, robotics teams, to meet with parents, prepare engaging lessons, plan for the multiple groups of students they have in their classrooms.  I see teachers who spark kids to fall in love with reading, to invent and make new discoveries, to dream big dreams.

I see teachers who sacrifice time and money to make sure students have proper clothing for the winter months, to make sure they have food to eat on the weekend, to make sure they have the supplies they need to be successful for the school day.  I see hugs being given, high fives being shared, tears being wiped away, listening ears being provided.  I witness teachers empowering kids to think bigger than themselves by giving back to their community and for causes they believe in.

I hear teacher cheering on their students when they finally figure out how to add and subtract with regrouping.  I hear songs being sung and cheers being chanted.  I hear advice being given when a student shares how their big sister ran away or that their parents are fighting again.  I see teachers in the stands at their students ball games and in the seats at their concerts.  I see teachers who lug home bags of work to do off the clock so that their students.

I could go on and on with story after story about ways I see teachers make a difference in the lives of their students on a daily basis.  So teacher if you are reading this, know you are you are not forgotten.  You are admired and celebrated.  You are cared for and loved.  You are appreciated.  And while you may not ever know it, you have made a difference not only in the lives of your students but in the lives of those you work with as well, especially me.  You have taught me about sacrifice and perseverance.  You have taught me about creativity and respect.  You have taught me about forgiveness and love.  And for that I am so grateful.

{sorry for the kind of heavy post tonight, just a little of what is on my heart about this profession i have chosen.  i hope you hear the heart behind it.}

1 comment:

  1. Brooke,
    You, too, are a valued educator in the lives of many of our students and your fellow faculty member appreciate you and all that you do for us. Thank you for all that you do and for writing this post to build us up when everyone ekes wants to tear teachers down...we all needed to hear this tonight.

    Amy Spiva

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips