Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009, the year of....

I am not usually one to make resolutions in the new year. I am smart enough to know that I will not follow through with them and I don't like setting myself up for failure. But this year, I am going to really put forth a serious effort to make this the year of me and God. So my resolution or goal for the year or whatever you might call it, is to spend time, REAL TIME, with God. Now, I am not saying that over the last years of my life I have not been spending time with God...I have. But I am not sure that it was quality time. In the past few years, I think I have been doing a lot more of the talking and not nearly enough of the listening or if I was listening, I was already talking over it. I am committing to memorizing 2 scriptures a month. I am going to be spending some quiet time, literally quiet time being still and really listening for that still small voice and really reading and searching through the scriptures. I tell you all this because I want you to hold me accountable my dear friends. Ask me what I am reading. Ask me to let you know the scriptures I am learning. Ask me how God is working in my life. And if I can't tell you...don't be afraid to challenge me. I think for so long I have been comfortable in my walk...it has been common and I am ready to be uncomfortable. I am ready to live in a way that I know God is using and speaking to me. One way I wanted to do this was to ask God to give me a scripture that will be my "year scripture" (for lack of better terms.) Basically, this will be the scripture that I focus on for this coming year. Some people have a life verse, I am asking for a year verse. I have been struggling a lot lately with what God wants from my life, what the plans are, what path I am to take. So my year verse is going to be Jeremiah 29:11-14. I really prayed about this and am so excited to see this time next year how God used this scripture to form 2009. I know that this is a promise that God makes to us...
I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. 12"When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. 13-14"When you come looking for me, you'll find me. "Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." God's Decree. Jeremiah 29:11-14 (the message)
How can I encourage you in the coming year? What is on your heart? We are all on this journey together and I am blessed to be living it with you...2009...it is going to be good!

3 comments:

  1. Wait until you get the card i mailed to you today. After reading your blog today it all makes sense to me why I chose that card for you out of ALL the cards i have?! I will pray for you and challenge you snd help in any other way that I can. I believe that with His help you are prparing yourself for an incredible journey.....the journey He wants you to be on. I love you...........Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to my post tonight, my dear friend, for what's on my heart. I love the idea of a year's verse and will begin to pray what God should have for me. Thanks for your willingness to always remember us and how you can be there for us (so indicative of the calling He has on your life!)

    Speaking of, you know I'm praying... waiting with great anticipation... for what He is going to do in and through you!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke!
    Just came over to say hi since I am a Brooke as well! I am a fellow siesta and hope to meet up with you one day!!! (I plan to go to the Siesta bible study in TN as well)

    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips