Monday, November 16, 2015

So worth the wait

I firmly believe that all little girls at some point in their lives dream about being married.  We picture the beautiful white dress, the handsome groom waiting for us at the altar.  We pick out the flowers, spend way to many hours watching A Wedding Story on TLC.  We make the binders of cut out wedding magazines since we didn't have Pinterest.  We dream, hope and long for that love of our lives.  

I know this is certainly true in my life.  The dreaming, the planning, the hoping, I spent a large portion of my life thinking that when I found that one and we had a fairy tale wedding, my life would begin.  Don't get me wrong, I filled my days with friends and family, with road trips and girls weekends.  I traveled the globe in my single days and lived life to the fullest. But unfortunately there was a little voice in my head that reminded me that I wasn't quite complete.

Around 2 years ago, my perspective changed.  I decided to mute the voice that told me I wasn't enough without a husband and cling to the one that told me He created me for much more.  I started being ok with Brooke and living life that way instead of worrying about what I didn't have. It was time to be comfortable in my own skin, to live life to the fullest in whatever state I found myself in.  

And friends, I was happy.  I enjoyed my friends more.  I spend more time with my family.  I started taking more risks.  It was good.  Life was good.  And then this guy came along....



Out of the blue, a blast from the past.   You see this guy was my junior year prom date.  He was my youth group buddy.  And we hadn't been in touch in almost 20 years.  But for some reason the Lord prompted his heart to send me a silly Facebook message on my birthday.  



And this last year and a half has been more than I could ever have imagined.  This guy swept me off my feet.  His care of others, his sense of humor, his love of Duke basketball, his intense loyalty to the people he loves.  I couldn't help but fall in love with him.  And not only did he bring himself he brought these two into my life. 


As I watched him walk through the journey of being a single father, I fell in love with him more.  When I saw his deep love for his kids, I knew he was the one that I wanted to spend my life with.   And of course I fell in love with these two as well.   I couldn't deny it anymore, I wanted these guys to be my family. 

I think we knew pretty early on that marriage was in our future.  And of course I was an impatient girl who might have nagged a bit about when it was going to happen.  I hinted a lot a little about rings, about being a family.  

And of course in God's perfect timing it happened.  On Saturday evening, he asked.  And I said Yes!  We committed to do this thing called life together.  To celebrate the good times, to learn from the mistakes.  We decided to make a life that would point other to Jesus, to love and care for each other.  We claimed that we would love those 2 precious kiddos with everything we have.  

 
I wish I could remember every sweet thing he said to me.  But what I do know is this, he told me he wanted to spend forever with me.  He told me over again how we were better together than we were apart.  And I am so thankful.


And as crazy as this might sound, I am so thankful I didn't find him when I was 22 and fresh out of college.  I know there are people that find love when they are young and are happy and married today.  But I wasn't that girl.  God knew my heart and that I wouldn't be ready. 

There is so much more to this story.  And maybe as we go through this engagement journey, I will share more pieces to the puzzle.  But right now I just can't wait to be Mrs. Queen!

Here are a few more pictures from Saturday night, what a magical night it was!















5 comments:

  1. Brooke, I am so happy for you! Your story reminds me of my own journey in a lot of ways. I am glad that I found my husband later in life. I was able to do everything I wanted in my 20s! And then when, I met Kevin I appreciated it even more. Welcome to the wonderful world of being a stepmother. It does come with its challenges. But all good things in life do, right? Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Tears here!!! I am so excited for you sweet friend!! There are no words. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DeV. and I love you, Brooke, and we love that you have found your love! We couldn't be any happier than we are for you right now! Barbara and DeV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you, Brooke. What an incredible story and journey. I can't wait to watch your journey as Mr. and Mrs! Love to you!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips